สรุปขั้นตอนการติดตั้ง VMware Server บน Ubuntu
How I installed VMWare Server
First I brought up a text terminal by clicking Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal. All command lines are given on this terminal.
- Typed on command line:
echo "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu feisty-commercial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
- (This command appends to file /etc/apt/sources.list the text /echoed.
To avoid typing mistakes, select the line above with the mouse, move
the mouse pointer (arrow) into the terminal area, click the mouse
middle button and press the [Enter] key. Your user password will be
required at this point. The echoing of the text on your terminal
acknowledges that it was written in the file.)
- I registered (gratis) at
http://register.vmware.com/content/registration.html and asked for a serial number, which appeared on the browser window.
I selected that number with the mouse and typed on the terminal:
cat > vmware-serial-number.txt
pressed [Enter] key, clicked the middle button of the mouse, then typed [Enter][Ctrl-D]. That way I saved the serial number for later use in a text file.
- Typed line command:sudo apt-get update
- Typed line command:sudo apt-get install vmware-server
Then apt-get downloaded about 85 MB of files. After installation, 143 MB of disk space was taken.
- In the installation process I was prompted to accept the EULA, which I did.
- The vmware-server installer then asked for the serial number that I had saved; on the already open terminal I typedcat vmware-serial-number.txt
which echoed the 20-character code on screen. I selected that number
with the mouse and clicked the middle button in the prompt field. OK.
- When the installation ended, I went to Applications ->
System, and found the vmware server square symbol at the bottom of the
pulldown menu. Success!
- I clicked on that symbol, and I was greeted by the Connect to Host dialog box, where I clicked on the Connect button.
- The VMware Server Console popped up, waiting for orders.
- I then needed an installation disk, so I went to the Linspire site and downloaded the .iso file for the distribution into my /opt/downloads/ directory.